Jagdish Mukhi has been appointed as the new Governor of Assam by President Ramnath Kovind. He will be replacing Banwarilal Purohit, who is now appointed as the Governor of Tamil Nadu.
Here are five things you should know about Assam's new Governor:
- Jagdish Mukhi is a veteran BJP leader from Delhi credited with working extensively for the welfare of citizens of Delhi.
- He is a former minister of Finance, Planning, Excise and Taxation and Higher Education in the Delhi government.
- He won best MLA award twice in Delhi Vidhan Sabha. He was also honoured as the best planning minister of the nation.
- Jagdish assumed office as the 12th Lieutenant governor of Andaman and Nicobar islands in August 2016.
- Mukhi was a professor in Delhi University and has authored a book titled ‘Company Law and Secretarial Practice’.
- He has worked at different levels in the BJP as President of BJP Janak Puri mandal; General Secretary and President of BJP West District; General Secretary of BJP Delhi; in-charge (Prabhari) of BJP affairs for the state of Jammu & Kashmir and recently in-charge of BJP affairs for the state of Haryana.