Raipur: UPSC aspirant, wife arrested, Rs 5 crore fake notes seized

The couple had also opened a bank account in ICICI bank on the name of Pirari Solution Pvt Ltd to earn the trust of the people.

Published: 03rd December 2018 12:20 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd December 2018 12:20 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

RAIPUR: The Raipur police on Sunday arrested a couple who possessed fake currency notes of Rs 5 crore, all in the denomination of Rs 2000.

The arrested couple Nikhil Kumar Singh (29) and wife Poonam Agrawal (30), who was residing in a rented house at Amlidih area of Raipur had been secretly operating a syndicate of printing fake currencies for the past one month.

The Raipur senior Superintendent of police Amresh Mishra got a tip-off on huge cash worth crores were lying in a house at Amlidih following which he alerted the city police. The crime branch formed a team that swung into action and based on the inputs succeeded in raiding the house where Rs 5 crepe cash were dumped beside a coloured printer, two mobile phones and laptop.

"Singh was an aspirant for the UPSC civil services and even qualified the preliminary examination earlier. A few months ago he came to Raipur with his wife and got engaged in such illegal activities. They were in touch with some industrial houses and the NGOs.

They had tried to convince various companies about their close contacts with several NGOs and promised them to return 80 per cent of the sanctioned corporate social responsibility (CSR) funds immediately if they sanction to the NGOs that will get remaining 20 per cent. The couple accumulated huge fake notes and prepared its video clippings to win the confidence of the big companies and the voluntary organisations to deceive them", the additional superintendent of police (Raipur) Prafulla Thakur said.

The couple had also opened a bank account in ICICI bank on the name of Pirari Solution Pvt Ltd to earn the trust of the people. Nikhil is a native of Bihar.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp