Cabinet may consider leasing out iconic Pragati Maidan space for 5-star hotel

The proposal, mooted by the Commerce Ministry, is part of the holistic plan to redevelop Paragati Maidan into a world class amenity for holding exhibitions and conventions.

Published: 13th June 2018 01:42 PM  |   Last Updated: 13th June 2018 01:58 PM   |  A+A-

The iconic Hall of Nations structure at Pragati Maidan being demolished in New Delhi. (File | PTI)

By IANS

NEW DELHI: At its meeting on Wednesday, the Union Cabinet is likely to consider among other things a proposal to lease out 3.7 acres of land at Pragati Maidan to private players for building a five star hotel, informed sources said.

The proposal, mooted by the Commerce Ministry, is part of the holistic plan to redevelop Pragati Maidan into a world-class amenity for holding exhibitions and conventions.

ALSO READ | Pragati Maidan revamp graft case: Delhi court grants bail to firm MD

The funds raised by leasing out the land for 99 years would be used by the India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) to finance the Integrated Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre (IECC) project at Pragati Maidan.

The Rs 2,254 crore project was cleared by the government last year.

Designed by architect Raj Rewal, Pragati Maidan- a 150 acre space of exhibition ground, was commissioned in 1970 to host the International Trade Fair in 1972.

Some of the iconic structures in Pragati Maidan used to be The Hall of Nations, Hall of Industries and Nehru Pavilion.

According to Scroll, Aurelien Lemonier of Centre Pompidou says that "From our understanding, the Hall of Nations and the Nehru Pavilion should be considered as a major heritage of the post-independence architecture and need to be preserved. We want then to express our support and our wish to contribute to the recognition of these two great pieces of architecture and their proper maintenance as part of the architectural heritage.”

The Indian Institute of Architects, the Centre national d’art et de culture Georges Pompidou in Paris, and New York’s Museum of Modern Art had written to Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, asking the structures to be retained. 

The structure was demolished under a redevelopment project proposed by Commerce Ministry’s India Trade Promotion Organisation in April 2017.

ALSO READ | Dalmia Group 'adopts' Red Fort: Opposition parties accuse Modi government of 'selling' historic monument to corporates

The redevelopment, planned to be completed in two phases, will also include creation of a convention centre with a seating capacity of 7,000 persons. The first phase is expected to be completed by May 2019.

The sources said the project was envisaged to provide a world class venue for international events and a star hotel needed to be there to complement the overall facilities.

(with online desk inputs)

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.