Centre not for stopping excavation at Keezhadi: Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma

The Central government has no intention to either stop or delay the excavation works at the Keezhadi archaeological site, said the Minister of State for Culture and Tourism on Friday.

Published: 29th April 2017 04:22 AM  |   Last Updated: 29th April 2017 04:22 AM   |  A+A-

A BJP cadre engaging in a verbal quarrel with police at Keezhadi excavation site on Friday | K K Sundar

Express News Service

SIVAGANGA: The Central government has no intention to either stop or delay the excavation works at the Keezhadi archaeological site, said Minister of State for Culture and Tourism Mahesh Sharma to mediapersons, during a visit to the site in the district on Friday.

“Normally, excavation works at archaeological sites are conducted for five years (seasons). Two seasons have been completed at the Keezhadi site. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) will carry out the work for the remaining three seasons without any hindrance,” the minister assured.

Underlining that the Central government was proud of the discovery at Keezhadi site, Sharma said, “The excavation has proved that a civilization and culture existed in the second century. The Central government wants to highlight the greatness of all the states under the banner, One India Great India,” he said.

Commenting on the transfer of Keezhadi site in-charge and Superintending Archaeologist K Amarnath Ramakrishna, Sharma said that it was just an institutional decision. “The transfer was simply based on the policy adopted by the ASI last year,” added Minister of State for Commerce and Industry, Nirmala Sitharaman.

Asked whether the Centre did not want to allow research at the site as Hindutva groups were not happy with the discovery which proved that an advanced and secular Tamil civilisation, independent of the Hindu tradition, may have existed in the South during the Sangam era, ASI Director General Rakesh Tiwari said that all the excavation sites and discoveries were equal and important to the ASI.

He said that the third season of the excavation would start in a few days. Sharma pointed out that the delay for allocating fund for the site was because the annual report on the work done in the past two years was not submitted on time. Once it was submitted, the government immediately cleared Rs 40 lakh for the third phase of the excavation, he stated.

 

Stay up to date on all the latest Tamil Nadu news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp