Qatari Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani in Doha. (File | AFP)
Qatari Foreign Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani in Doha. (File | AFP)
DOHA: Qatar's foreign ministry on Thursday said it was closing Chad's embassy in Doha and ordered all staff to leave the emirate within three days.
The retaliatory move came just 24 hours after the central African state announced it was closing Qatar's embassy in N'Djamena, accusing Doha of seeking to destabilise the country.
Qatar foreign ministry official Ahmed bin Saeed al-Rumaihi said in a statement the emirate had decided "to close the Embassy of the Republic of Chad in Doha and to give diplomats and embassy staff 72 hours to leave the country".
Rumaihi added that Qatar rejected as "baseless" claims made by Chad on Wednesday.
Chad said it was expelling Qatar's mission to "safeguard peace and stability in the region", accusing the Middle Eastern state of "attempts at the destabilisation of Chad from Libya".
Qatar's diplomatic staff were given 10 days to leave.
Chad, Mauritania and Senegal all recalled their ambassadors from Qatar in June.
They acted after Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt broke off diplomatic and trade ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting Islamist extremists -- a charge the tiny, gas-rich state denies.
Qatar has previously accused the Saudi-led bloc of putting pressure on African states to take sides in the row.
O
P
E
N
Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.
The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.
Government gives final nod to Vodafone-Idea merger
Independents will withdraw support if Fadnavis is replaced: Maharashtra MLA Ravi Rana
PM Narendra Modi reaffirms India's commitment to multilateralism, rules-based world at BRICS Summit
Building collapse: Bombay HC denies bail to Sena worker, contractor
Attack on statues continues in Tripura; CPI-M stalwart Baidynath Majumdar's statue damaged
Nearly 250 dead in coordinated Islamic State group's suicide bombings on south Syria