STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Dead lizard in hostel food leaves students ill

More than 100 students of Quaid-e-Millath Government Women’s College were taken ill in the hostel on Sunday night due to suspected food poisoning.

Published: 25th July 2017 08:25 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th July 2017 08:25 AM   |  A+A-

Food safety officials inspecting the idlies in which students allegedly found a lizard at the hostel of Quaid-e-Millath College for Women, on Monday | Express

By Express News Service

CHENNAI: More than 100 students of Quaid-e-Millath Government Women’s College were taken ill in the hostel on Sunday night due to suspected food poisoning.

Rushed to nearby hospitals, the students were discharged the next day after doctors confirmed their condition to be stable. Parents alleged that the management did not inform them about the incident.
The students were reportedly consuming idli around 10 pm in the evening, when one of them found a lizard baked in the food. They were immediately rushed to different government hospitals in the city.
After an initial screening, 48 were admitted in Royapettah  hospital and 17 in Rajiv Gandhi memorial hospital and were discharged by Monday afternoon.

Dr Anand Pratap, Resident Medical Officer at the Government Royapettah Hospital, told Express, “The symptoms were nausea and head ache and four students had diarrhoeal bouts. Majority of them were suffering from anxiety and panic due to the incident. But they were stable in the morning and hence were discharged”.

Throughout the incident, the management had not informed the students’ parents about the occurrence.
“We were not allowed to inform our parents and were sent home soon after being discharged. Most of us had to go on our own despite being sick since we were not allowed to stay in the hostel even for the night”, said one of the affected students.

The college had declared one-week holiday for hostelers after the Food Safety Department had conducted an inspection and issued a warning notice to the management.
“We have collected samples of food and drinking water from the hostel for testing. Further action will be based on the report which is expected within 15 days,” said Dr R Kathiravan, Designated Officer, Chennai Food Safety Department.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp