Chennai Corporation launches 40-day waste segregation drive

The officials said the immediate focus would be on biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste, which constitute the bulk of household waste.
Representative Image
Representative ImagePhoto | Express Illustrations
Updated on
2 min read

CHENNAI: The Greater Chennai Corporation (GCC) on Saturday launched a 40-day door-to-door campaign across five zones in south Chennai to encourage households segregate waste at source, with 50,000 households targeted in the initial phase.

Under the ‘Segregate Waste - Save Tomorrow’ campaign, GCC officials and workers from Urbaser Sumeet are distributing dedicated bags for non-biodegradable waste and educating residents on handing over segregated waste daily. On Saturday, 5,000 households (1,000 in each zone) were covered, while the remaining 45,000 will be reached over the subsequent days.

The campaign aims to promote segregation into biodegradable, non-biodegradable, sanitary and hazardous waste in line with the Solid Waste Management Rules, 2026. The officials said the immediate focus would be on biodegradable and non-biodegradable waste, which constitute the bulk of household waste.

“Waste segregation requires behavioural change. The idea is that segregation should not remain an awareness activity but become part of every household’s daily routine,” GCC Commissioner GS Sameeran told the TNIE. He said households would be monitored during the 40-day period to help residents sustain the practice, following which compliance would be assessed and penal action taken if necessary.

Sameeran said the campaign follows efforts to improve segregation among bulk waste generators by appointing nodal officers. The household initiative has been launched as a pilot in south Chennai and will be expanded to the city’s other two regions based on feedback, he added.

Regional Deputy Commissioner (South) Aftab Rasool said households that consistently segregate waste would be recognised with awards after the 40-day campaign. The civic body would also incentivise such households by providing books to their children to encourage awareness among the next generation.

Of the 1,065 bulk waste generators in south Chennai, 615 have begun segregating waste, Rasool said, adding neither bulk generators nor households have been penalised so far.

The campaign was launched at selected locations in Valasaravakkam, Alandur, Thiruvanmiyur, Perungudi and Sholinganallur. Officials said the exercise would progress through four stages- awareness, action, habit and sustained practice before participation and waste-collection efficiency are assessed.

Starting September 1, bulk waste generators are mandated to segregate waste before handing it over, failing which would attract appropriate fines and enforcement actions, announced corporation commissioner.

X
The New Indian Express
www.newindianexpress.com