HC cancels bail to Pahelwan, 2 others

HYDERABAD: The High Court on Wednesday cancelled the bail granted to Mohammed bin Omer Yafai alias Mohammed Pahelwan, the prime accused, and two others allegedly involved in the case of attemp

Published: 26th April 2012 04:09 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 07:45 PM   |  A+A-

HYDERABAD: The High Court on Wednesday cancelled the bail granted to Mohammed bin Omer Yafai alias Mohammed Pahelwan, the prime accused, and two others allegedly involved in the case of attempt on the life of Akbaruddin Owaisi, MIM floor leader in the Assembly, in April 2011.

While cancelling the bail granted to Mohammed Pahelwan and his brother Younus bin Omer Yafai and Mohd Bahadur Ali Khan alias Munawar Iqbal, justice KC Bhanu directed them to surrender before the trial court forthwith.

The judge heard their bail applications afresh following a directive of the Supreme Court. In September 2011, a single judge of the High Court had granted bail to the accused and the state government preferred an appeal to the Supreme Court.

The persons whose bail was sought to be cancelled included Mohammed Pahelwan, Hasan bin Omer Yafai, Esa bin Younus Yafai, Yahiya bin Younus Yafai, Faisal bin Ahmed, Fazal bin Ahmed, Younus bin Omer Yafai, Bahadur Ali Khan alias Munawar Iqbal and Awad bin Younus Yafai. The apex court set aside the bail orders on March 16, 2012 and asked the High Court to decide on bail applications afresh within a period of six weeks and the accused shall remain protected in the meantime.

Public prosecutor Vinod Kumar Deshpande, while opposing the bail applications, contended that it was an attack on a public representative who is espousing the cause of general public and the court should not show an indulgence towards the attackers who are known anti-social elements.

The counsel for the accused contended that Mohammed Pahelwan never participated in the alleged offence but was framed by the city police. The accused had been on bail for six months and they never tried to interfere with the investigation, the defence counsel said.

The public prosecutor said Mohammed Pahelwan was the mastermind of the conspiracy and he, along with his family members, hatched a plan to eliminate the legislator.

They had tried to kill the legislator on April 30, 2011 when the latter was on a padayatra in Barkas area, he said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Hyderabad news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp