

SRINAGAR: Admitting its mistake in the recent firing incident in central Kashmir’s Budgam district where two teenagers were killed, the Army on Friday took responsibility for the killings and said a speedy inquiry into the incident would be completed within few days.
“The Army fully takes responsibility for the civilian killings at Chattergam in Budgam district,” Army’s Northern Command chief, Lt Gen D S Hooda, told reporters here.
He said they shared the grief of the two families, who lost their sons in the Army firing. “We deeply regret the killings and assure that such incidents will not be repeated.”
The Army men had on Monday fired on a Maruti car at Chattergam area, killing two youth travelling in the vehicle and injuring two others, who are undergoing treatment in an army hospital in Srinagar.
Admitting that firing on youth was a mistake, Hooda said, “Had the Army not committed the mistake, the killing of two youth could have been avoided.”
He said an inquiry had been ordered into the incident. “The inquiry will be transparent and it will be conducted on a fast-track basis and completed within next few days.”
“We are committed to deliver justice to the victims’ families and the Army is willing to cooperate with any other inquiry as well,” the Northern Command chief said.
He said besides recording the statements of 16 Army men of 53 Rashtriya Rifles involved in the incident, the Army has also recorded statements of 15 civilians.The Northern Command chief said the Army has its own rules of engagement. “If it is found that such rules were violated in the firing incident, then tough action will be taken against the accused soldiers.” Meanwhile, Kashmir had observed a complete shutdown on Wednesday against the civilian killings and the family members and civil society groups have demanded action against the Army men involved in the firing incident. A compensation of `10 lakh will be given to next of kin of the two deceased youth while an amount of `5 lakh will be given to the families of the injured boys.