

NEW DELHI: Markaz Subhan Allah, Jaish-e-Mohammed's key base in Pakistan's Bahawalpur, has been substantially rebuilt, around 15 months after it was targeted in India’s Operation Sindoor, sources at intelligence agencies said.
The sources claimed that the Pakistan government, allegedly with assistance from the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), provided approximately Rs 25 crore in instalments for the reconstruction of the JeM facility. Around Rs 11 crore of the reported allocation was spent on restoring the complex’s central hall, they added.
“The renovated hall has reportedly undergone major refurbishment. Walls have been freshly plastered and painted, new marble flooring has been installed and the premises have been thoroughly cleaned. The overall restoration suggests that the facility is once again being prepared for regular activity,” a source said.
Intelligence officials said signs of reconstruction began emerging in early 2026, when heavy machinery, bricks, steel and other construction materials were reportedly transported to the site. Over the following months, work progressed rapidly and by the middle to later part of the year, the complex had reportedly regained the appearance of an operational facility.
Also known as the Jamia Subhan Allah complex, the site is situated along Pakistan’s N-5 National Highway in Bahawalpur, in southern Punjab. The facility has long been regarded as an important ideological, organisational and training centre associated with JeM.
Bahawalpur was one of the locations targeted during Operation Sindoor, which India launched following the April 22, 2025, Pahalgam terror attack. On the intervening night of May 6-7, Indian forces carried out precision strikes against nine locations in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir that New Delhi identified as terrorist infrastructure.
Following the attack, JeM chief Masood Azhar claimed that 10 members of his family and four associates had been killed at the Bahawalpur facility. Among those reportedly killed were his elder sister, her husband, a nephew and his wife, a niece, and five children from his extended family.
Azhar, who was arrested in India in 1994, was released in 1999 during the hijacking of Indian Airlines flight IC-814. He has subsequently been linked to several major attacks against India, including the 2001 Parliament attack, the 2016 Pathankot attack and the 2019 Pulwama bombing. He is also wanted in connection with the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
The United Nations Security Council has designated Azhar an international terrorist, while India has listed him as a terrorist under the amended Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Pakistan has repeatedly denied knowledge of his whereabouts.
Intelligence sources further claimed that social media accounts associated with JeM had previously conducted fundraising campaigns using digital wallets to raise money for rebuilding the damaged complex.
The reported reconstruction has renewed concerns in India over the restoration of terrorist infrastructure in Pakistan despite the military action carried out during Operation Sindoor. Intelligence officials have pointed to the speed of the rebuilding process—from clearing debris to restoring buildings, halls and domes—as a possible indication of continued organisational or institutional support for JeM.