STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Major decline in surface flow irrigation schemes

India has seen a decline of 9,000 surface flow minor irrigation schemes since 2006-2007, a government census has revealed. This has increased the dependence of the agricultural sector on groundwater. 

Published: 25th December 2017 08:49 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th December 2017 08:49 AM   |  A+A-

The State Government has decided to create irrigation potential of 7.26 lakh hectares during the next two years.

Representational Image.

By Express News Service

NEW DELHI: India has seen a decline of 9,000 surface flow minor irrigation schemes since 2006-2007, a government census has revealed. This has increased the dependence of the agricultural sector on groundwater. 

The schemes, which are responsible for irrigating around 4.89 million hectares, are situated in states like Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand and Karnataka.

“The number of surface flow minor irrigation schemes has declined from 6,01,000 in 2006-07 to 5,92,000 in 2013-14,” the census said.

According to the study, tanks constitute the largest share of water from surface flow irrigation schemes (41 per cent), while 10 per cent of the schemes are comprised of reservoirs and 10 per cent form nalas. 

As part of a surface flow minor irrigation scheme, rainwater is utilised for irrigation either by storing it or diverting it from other water sources like rivers. The diversions are constructed either as permanent or temporary. Temporary diversions are washed away during the monsoon.

The census suggests that measures must be taken to restore the schemes to increase the benefits derived from them and also to prevent the water table from getting depleted further.

The study also throws light on the ownership of surface flow schemes. Around 54 per cent of the schemes are owned by public, while the remainder, 46 per cent, is privately owned. Three-fourths of the publicly owned schemes are government-owned and 17 per cent are owned by local governing agencies.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp