Have accepted all CBFC modifications: 'Padmavat' producers

Mumbai, Jan 10 (PTI) Brushing aside reports that theCentral Board of Film Certification (CBFC) had suggested "300cuts" in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's "...
Updated on: 
2 min read

Mumbai, Jan 10 (PTI) Brushing aside reports that theCentral Board of Film Certification (CBFC) had suggested "300cuts" in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's "Padmavati", retitled as"Padmavat", the producers today said only five "modifications"were recommended by the censor board which they have acceptedand implemented.

The producers also said they appreciate the "balancedapproach" adopted by the censor board to address thesituation.

The long-drawn battle between the makers of the filmand the CBFC ended on December 28 last year after the CBFCdecided to give U/A certificate to the period drama starringDeepika Padukone, Shahid Kapoor, and Ranveer Singh.

There have been reports that the CBFC had suggestedaround 300 cuts before clearing the movie.

CBFC chief Prasoon Joshi yesterday said the censorboard had cleared "Padmavat" and reports about cuts were"absolutely untrue".

"We appreciate the balanced and considered approachthat CBFC has taken to address this situation. They hadsuggested five modifications," Viacom18 Media Pvt. Ltd saidin a statement issued here today.

The modifications suggested by the CBFC comprisedchanging the disclaimer, assigning title "Padmavat" andamending "Ghoomar" song.

"Change the disclaimer to one that clearly does notclaim historical accuracy. The title is to be changed from'Padmavati' to 'Padmavat' as the filmmakers have attributedtheir creative source as the fictional poem 'Padmavat' and nothistory.

"Modifications to the song 'Ghoomar' to make thedepiction befitting to the character being portrayed.

Modifications to the incorrect/misleading reference tohistorical places. Addition of a disclaimer which clearlymakes the point that the film in no manner subscribes to thepractice of Sati or seeks to glorify it," the statement said.

It said the Bhansali Productions and Viacom18 MotionPictures, as producers, have accepted and have made all theabove changes.

"We believe that these changes are in line with thefilmic depiction of the story we wanted to tell. We firmlydeny all speculation on extensive cuts to the film and want toreiterate that only the above changes and disclaimers (as) perguidance of the CBFC have been made. We have full faith in theCBFC and in the transparent, fair and inclusive process thathas been followed," it said.

The movie, which was earlier set to arrive in theatreson December 1 last year, will now release on January 25.

Bhansali, who appeared before a parliamentary panel,had said his lavishly mounted Rs 150 crore period drama isbased on the 16th century epic poem "Padmavat" by MalikMuhammad Jayasi.

The film got stuck after various Rajput groups allegedthat it distorts history, a claim repeatedly denied by thedirector.

Historians are divided on whether Padmini actuallyexisted. PTI KKPNSK.

This is unedited, unformatted feed from the Press Trust of India wire.

Related Stories

No stories found.
The New Indian Express
www.newindianexpress.com