

NEW DELHI: The Badminton Association of India (BAI), the national governing body of the sport, will be hosting the 2028 edition of the India Open at the National Centre of Excellence in Guwahati instead of New Delhi.
BAI general secretary Sanjay Mishra said the federation is making this move due to the tournament's clash with Republic Day celebrations then. "The 2027 edition of India will be held in New Delhi but the 2028 edition, we'll shift it to Guwahati. The dates (25 January to 30), the period then, because of January 26, it comes slightly tough for players. It becomes tough for practice and for the tournament," Mishra told reporters after the conclusion of the World Championships.
The NCE had hosted the World Junior Championships in Guwahati last year. The tournament will return to New Delhi the following year. The next edition of the India Open, meanwhile, will be held in the capital city from February 2-7 next year.
Reflecting on this tournament, Mishra is hopeful that the players who failed to deliver can bounce back in the next tournament. "To think that we can win at every tournament is unrealistic. Our players have shown that they can beat any player on their day. In this event, maybe some of our players couldn't perform but they'll bounce back in the next tournament."