

BENGALURU: Bus services across Karnataka are likely to be affected from 6 am Wednesday after the Joint Action Committee (JAC) of the four state-run transport corporations said the proposed indefinite strike from May 20 would go ahead, as talks with the labour commissioner ended without a concrete outcome on Monday.
However, the unions indicated that another round of discussions with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah or Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy could take place on Tuesday before the strike begins.
JAC convener Jayadevaraje Urs told TNIE the conciliation meeting held by the labour commissioner did not involve decision-making authorities from the government, and no agreement was reached on their key demands, including revision of the recently announced 12.5 per cent wage hike order.
Government talks could ease 25% wage hike standoff
Urs reiterated the committee’s demand for modification of the government order issued on May 12 and sought implementation of wage revision from January 1, 2024. Though unions have demanded a 25% wage hike, leaders indicated that the figure was negotiable if the government came forward for meaningful discussions.
The unions said the labour commissioner, on behalf of the government, requested them to defer the strike till May 25,assuring them that changes may be considered. However, union leaders said they need a concrete reason to convince employees to defer the protest.
Leaders also claimed that transport employees across the four state-run corporations — BMTC, KSRTC, NWKRTC and KKRTC — were strongly backing the strike call, and bus services could be affected across Karnataka from Wednesday morning.
Union leaders clarified that employees had been advised to remain at home peacefully and not report to depots, rather than engage in demonstrations or disruptions outside workplaces. The strike has been called over wage revision, arrears and other pending demands of the four corporations.