Karnataka steps up Ebola vigilance after WHO alert

Coordination with airports and other Points of Entry (PoEs) has also been strengthened to identify and monitor travellers arriving from affected countries.
A person is wearing a protective face mask in front of the WHO logo, during the media regarding the epidemic of Ebola disease, during a press conference at the World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, Friday, May 22, 2026.
A person is wearing a protective face mask in front of the WHO logo, during the media regarding the epidemic of Ebola disease, during a press conference at the World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, Friday, May 22, 2026.(Photo | AP)
Updated on
1 min read

BENGALURU: The Karnataka Department of Health and Family Welfare has issued a public advisory and intensified precautionary measures after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the ongoing Ebola outbreak in The Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern” on May 17.

The department said no Ebola cases have been reported in India so far, but surveillance and monitoring systems have been strengthened across the state. The Health Department said surveillance and monitoring of suspected cases under the Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP) have been enhanced. Coordination with airports and other Points of Entry (PoEs) has also been strengthened to identify and monitor travellers arriving from affected countries.

Rapid Response Teams (RRTs) have been kept on alert across the State, while infection prevention and control measures in hospitals have been reinforced. The department said healthcare personnel are being trained to handle suspected cases and adequate stocks of personal protective equipment (PPE), medicines and laboratory support systems have been ensured.

In Bengaluru, Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases has been designated as the isolation centre, while Epidemic Diseases Hospital will function as the quarantine and treatment centre. In Mangaluru, Srinivas Port Hospital has been identified as the quarantine centre and Wenlock District Hospital as the isolation and treatment facility. Dedicated ambulance services have also been arranged for the safe transportation of suspected patients to designated hospitals.

A person is wearing a protective face mask in front of the WHO logo, during the media regarding the epidemic of Ebola disease, during a press conference at the World Health Organization (WHO) headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, Friday, May 22, 2026.
India on Ebola watch: Health ministry issues nationwide advisory

X
The New Indian Express
www.newindianexpress.com