Delhi Police wind up probe on cash for symbol scandal involving TTV Dhinakaran

Winding up three days of questioning several suspects and conducting searches at the residences of Dhinakaran and his friend Mallikarjuna, the police left for Delhi.

Published: 29th April 2017 11:41 PM  |   Last Updated: 30th April 2017 01:07 AM   |  A+A-

AIADMK leader TTV Dhinakaran arrives at IGI airport to appear before Delhi police for questioning in connection with an alleged attempt to bribe an EC official for retaining the two leaves party symbol in New Delhi on Saturday. | (Shekhar Yadav | EPS)


CHENNAI: The Delhi Police's crime branch today concluded its Chennai leg of probe in the Election Commission bribery case involving AIADMK (Amma) party leader T T V Dhinakaran.   

It later left for the national capital with Dhinakaran.     

Winding up three days of questioning several suspects and conducting searches at the residences of Dhinakaran and his friend Mallikarjuna, the police left for Delhi along with the duo by an evening flight.

The Delhi Police had questioned about a dozen persons in connection with the case after bringing Dhinakaran and Mallikarjuna here on April 27.     

Those suspected to have been linked with the money trail in the bribery case and others who had knowledge about the transaction were questioned, police sources said.     

Dhinakaran was arrested on April 25 in Delhi following four days of questioning for allegedly attempting to bribe an unidentified EC official to get the undivided AIADMK's 'two leaves' election symbol for his faction.     

Police had earlier arrested Sukesh Chandrasekar, who had allegedly struck a deal for Rs 50 crore to help the AIADMK (Amma) faction acquire the party symbol, and seized Rs 1.30 crore from him.     

A Delhi court had granted five days police custody of Dhinakaran following which he was brought here.     Yesterday, the police team visited various areas, including Adambakkam and Kolapakkam here, to question some persons whose identity has not been disclosed.     

Police sources said the probe will continue, but declined to comment if any documents had been seized.     At the airport, when some journalists asked Dhinakaran if he felt a "false case" had been lodged against him, he nodded his head in concurrence.     

Meanwhile, airport officials said the Delhi Police personnel were not allowed to board the plane in the afternoon as they were carrying pistols and had not taken permission for the same.     

Later, a declaration was made about the firearms and the requisite permission was taken, they added.


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp