

HYDERABAD: The first day of the one-way traffic system around the Kasu Brahmananda Reddy National Park, popularly known as KBR Park, on Tuesday brought confusion, longer routes and traffic snarls, despite the deployment of more than 500 police personnel, drones and updated Google Maps to ease the transition. Commuters complained about inadequate signage and sudden lane closures, while police said traffic moved smoothly until 9.30 am before congestion set in.
The one-way system was implemented on Tuesday morning, changing the usual two-way movement around KBR Park. While commuters familiar with the routes managed to reach their destinations with some difficulty, many motorists were unaware of the diversions and stopped or changed lanes after reaching the stretch.
As traffic volume increased, congestion was reported at several locations by 10 am. By 11 am, vehicle movement had slowed considerably at some places, including Jubilee Hills Checkpost.
Hyderabad police said Google Maps had been updated with the revised routes to help commuters navigate the new traffic arrangements.
Police added that a three-hour trial was conducted on April 5, followed by a six-hour trial on June 21 after schools and colleges reopened. Several commuters said they were unaware of the trial runs conducted around KBR Park, particularly as both were held on Sundays.
Addressing a press meet, Hyderabad police commissioner VC Sajjanar said traffic remained smooth until 9.30 am, after which congestion was reported during peak hours at Road No. 45, Agrasen Junction and Venkatagiri, among other locations. He also acknowledged problems at lane-changing points.
More than 500 police personnel were deployed around KBR Park and will work round the clock, police said. Two drones were being used to monitor traffic, while the control room was tracking vehicular movement.
For commuters, it’s no longer a walk in the park
Police had earlier said that the traffic management plan had been finalised after a detailed study and two trial runs. The Hyderabad Traffic Police and GHMC had addressed problems identified during the trials before implementing the system, officials had asserted.
Despite advisories issued over the previous week, police said many motorists had not followed them and took to the roads without knowing the new traffic arrangements. This contributed to congestion, particularly between KBR Junction and Agrasen Junction, where the terrain also posed challenges.
Motorists travelling from Ameerpet towards Hitec City via Jubilee Hills Checkpost faced difficulties. Some commuters complained of inadequate signage, saying they could have taken Road No. 10 had they been directed earlier.
A motorist travelling from Ameerpet to Madhapur said police stopped vehicles at Jubilee Hills Checkpost and blocked the route. He said vehicles should have been diverted from Krishnanagar itself if the route was to be closed. “I knew the one-way system was going to be implemented, but I did not expect this much traffic,” he said.
The one-way system has also forced motorists to take longer routes to cover short distances around KBR Park. One commuter travelling from Masab Tank to Basavatarakam Hospital said he earlier used to travel via Virinchi Hospital and the Command and Control Centre before taking a U-turn to reach the hospital. Under the new arrangement, he had to travel around KBR Park from Agrasen Junction to reach the hospital.
Police have designated specific points for motorists to change lanes. However, congestion occurred at some of these points as vehicles moving from left to right and right to left converged at the same location.
Motorists familiar with the lane-changing points were able to exit the stretch more easily, while others struggled to identify where they needed to switch lanes.