STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Initial probe suggests Syria attack victims exposed to sarin: Turkey

An initial analysis of victims of the suspected chemical attack in Syria brought to Turkey for treatment suggests they were exposed to the deadly nerve agent sarin.

Published: 06th April 2017 10:20 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th April 2017 10:20 PM   |  A+A-

Syria, chemical attack, April

An unconscious Syrian child is carried at a hospital in Khan Sheikhun, a rebel-held town in the northwestern Syrian Idlib province, following a suspected toxic gas attack on April 4, 2017. (AFP)

By AFP

ISTANBUL: An initial analysis of victims of the suspected chemical attack in Syria brought to Turkey for treatment suggests they were exposed to the deadly nerve agent sarin, the Turkish health ministry said today.

"According to the results of the initial analysis, the findings suggest the injured were exposed to a chemical substance (sarin)," the health ministry said in a statement. It confirmed that 31 people were being treated in southern Turkey and three had died in hospital.

The statement said according to the initial findings victims has suffered "pulmonary edema (accumulation of fluid), an increase in the lung weight and blood in the lungs". "These findings suggest there was a link between these injuries and the use of chemical weapons."

It said that the autopsies in the southern city of Adana were conducted in the presence of officials from the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). It said further investigations were underway at a laboratory in Ankara on samples taken from the victims.

Meanwhile, the OPCW was also taking samples for examination at its headquarters in The Hague, it added. The WHO and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) had previously said victims showed symptoms consistent with the possible use of a nerve agent, such as sarin. But the statement from the health ministry was the first time the Turkish government had indicated it believed sarin was to blame.

The statement was also slightly more cautious than earlier comments by Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag who said the use of chemical weapons had been confirmed and President Bashar al-Assad's regime was to blame.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp