STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Saudi prosecutor visits US journalist Khashoggi's murder site in Istanbul; asks Turkey to provide evidence

The head of the Saudi investigation, Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb, who last week acknowledged that the killing was premeditated.

Published: 30th October 2018 04:16 PM  |   Last Updated: 30th October 2018 04:16 PM   |  A+A-

A Saudi Arabia's flag flies over the country's consulate in Istanbul, Sunday, Oct. 28, 2018. (Photo | AP)

By AFP

ISTANBUL: Saudi Arabia's chief prosecutor on Tuesday visited the consulate in Istanbul where journalist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered, according to an AFP journalist at the scene.

The head of the Saudi investigation, Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb, who last week acknowledged that the killing was "premeditated", did not make a statement as he arrived at the diplomatic compound.

Earlier in the day, he met Istanbul chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan for the second time. On Monday, Mojeb had asked to be given the full findings of the Turkish investigation, including all images and audio recordings, Turkish broadcaster TRT reported.

ALSO READ: Saudi Arabia rejects Turkey call to extradite Jamal Khashoggi killers

The Turkish investigators rejected the request, TRT said, instead of calling on the Saudi prosecutor to reveal information about the location of Khashoggi's body, which has not yet been found.

They also repeated President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's call for the 18 suspects arrested by Saudi Arabia over the murder be sent to Turkey for trial, according to TRT.

Riyadh has refused the request. The case has sparked a PR crisis for the oil-rich Gulf nation, which is seeking to draw a line under the case as Western powers demand answers.

ALSO READ: Turkey to Saudi Arabia: Where is Jamal Khashoggi's body?

Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor who had criticised Saudi Arabia's powerful Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, has not been seen after entering the consulate on October 2 to obtain paperwork for his marriage to his Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz.

On Monday she hit out at the US President Donald Trump's response to the murder, saying he must not let Riyadh cover up the killing.

"I am extremely disappointed by the stance of the leadership of many countries, particularly in the US," she told a memorial event in London.

She said she believed the Saudi regime knew where Khashoggi's body was, and called for the "evil criminals and their cowardly political masters" to be held to account.

Trump has called the case "one of the worst cover-ups in history", but warned against halting a Saudi arms deal to increase the pressure, saying it would harm US jobs.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp