STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Germany says still committed to evacuations; France, Britain to propose UN-controlled safe zone in Kabul

This would keep pressure on the Taliban and hold the international community accountable, French President Emanuel Macron said.

Published: 30th August 2021 08:05 AM  |   Last Updated: 30th August 2021 08:05 AM   |  A+A-

Families evacuated from Kabul, Afghanistan, walk through the terminal before boarding a bus after they arrived at Washington Dulles International Airport. (Photo | AP)

By PTI

BERLIN: Germany says it is committed to helping people still in Afghanistan seeking to get out, as well as those who have already fled as refugees.

At the start of a four-day, five-country trip focused on evacuation efforts in Afghanistan, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas underscored that Germany's "engagement is not ending with the conclusion of the military evacuation mission."

Maas spoke before his arrival in Turkey, the first country on his itinerary.

After Turkey, Maas will continue on to Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Qatar.

The trip comes just days after Germany ended its military evacuation operations in Afghanistan.

According to the German defense ministry, the German Bundeswehr evacuated 5,347 people from at least 45 different countries.

Thousands, however, are still trying to get out.

In his statement, Maas acknowledged that several of the countries he is visiting have played a "considerable part in ensuring the success" of the evacuation efforts.

He added that he believes a "coordinated international approach to the Taliban" is necessary.

"Our offer of support to the neighboring countries to assist them with coping with the humanitarian and economic fallout is also part of this," he said.

"It is in our own interests to ensure that the collapse in Afghanistan does not destabilize the entire region."

President Emmanuel Macron says that France and Britain plan to propose at the U.N. on Monday the creation of a "safe zone" in Kabul that would allowed for continued "humanitarian operations."

The French leader, currently in Iraq, said Sunday that Paris and London would propose at a Security Council meeting on the crisis in Afghanistan a resolution "aimed at defining a safe zone in Kabul under U.N. control."

This would keep pressure on the Taliban and hold the international community accountable, he said in an exclusive interview with the weekly Le Journal du Dimanche published Sunday.

It was unclear if the protection zone France and Britain envisage would be linked to eventual "targeted evacuations" that Macron spoke of on Saturday.

He said at a news conference in Baghdad that France is talking with the Taliban and Qatar about continuing evacuations after the Americans pull out on Tuesday to bring out Afghans on France's list of potential evacuees that never made it out of the country.

One possibility would be to evacuate via Kabul's civilian airport or a neighbouring country, he told the newspaper.

France ended its evacuation flights out of Kabul on Friday night after bringing out 2,834 people, mostly Afghans at risk.

Britain ended its operations on Saturday.

The United States has the capacity to evacuate the approximately 300 US citizens remaining in Afghanistan who want to leave before President Joe Biden's Tuesday deadline, national security adviser Jake Sullivan said Sunday.

He also said the administration's current plan is not to have "an ongoing embassy presence'' after the final U.S. troop withdrawal.

With Biden warning that another terrorist attack was "highly likely" after last week's suicide bombing at the Kabul airport, Sullivan said the U.S. has shown in other countries that it is capable of "suppressing the terrorism threat, without a large permanent presence on the ground. And we will do that in Afghanistan as well as we go forward."

Biden has pledged to keep up airstrikes against the Islamic extremist group whose airport attack killed scores of Afghans and 13 American service members.

Biden was traveling to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Sunday for a "dignified transfer" movement, a military ritual of receiving the remains of fallen troops killed in foreign combat.

The Pentagon said a U.S. drone mission in eastern Afghanistan killed two members of the Islamic State group's Afghanistan affiliate early Saturday local time in retaliation for the airport bombing, and Biden said the extremists can expect more.

"This strike was not the last," Biden said in a statement Saturday.

"We will continue to hunt down any person involved in that heinous attack and make them pay."

The evacuation of Americans proceeded as tensions rose over the prospect of another IS attack.

The State Department issued a new security alert early Sunday morning Kabul time instructing people to leave the airport area immediately "due to a specific, credible threat."

Sullivan told CBS' "Face the Nation" for those U.S. citizens seeking immediately to leave Afghanistan by Biden's deadline, "we have the capacity to have 300 Americans, which is roughly the number we think are remaining, come to the airport and get on planes in the time that is remaining. We moved out more than that number just yesterday. So from our point of view, there is an opportunity right now for American citizens to come, to be admitted to the airport and to be evacuated safely and effectively."

He also pledged the U.S. "will make sure there is safe passage for any American citizen, any legal permanent resident" after Tuesday, as well as for "those Afghans who helped us."

But untold numbers of vulnerable Afghans, fearful of a return to the brutality of pre-2001 Taliban rule, are likely to be left behind.

There also are roughly 280 others who have said they are Americans but who have not told the State Department of their plans to leave the country, or who have said they plan to remain.

Sullivan said the U.S. would continue to undertake similar strikes against IS and consider "other operations to go after these guys, to get them and to take them off the battlefield."

He added: "We will continue to bring the fight to the terrorists in Afghanistan to make sure they do not represent a threat to the United States."

The administration's current plan "is not to have an ongoing embassy presence in Afghanistan", a permanent presence, as of Tuesday, Sullivan said.

"But we will have means and mechanisms of having diplomats on the ground there, be able to continue to process out these applicants, be able to facilitate the passage of other people who want to leave Afghanistan."

He said that "over time, depending on what the Taliban does, how it follows through on its commitments with respect to safe passage, how it deals with the treatment of women, how it deals with its international commitments not to allow Afghanistan to become a base for terrorism in the rest of the world, we can make further determinations about both diplomatic presence."

The 13 service members were the first U.S. troops killed in Afghanistan since February 2020, the month the Trump administration struck an agreement with the Taliban in which the militant group halted attacks on Americans in exchange for a U.S. agreement to remove all troops and contractors by May 2021.

Biden announced in April that the 2,500 to 3,000 troops who remained would be out by September, ending what he has called America's forever war.

With Biden's approval, the Pentagon this month sent thousands of additional troops to the Kabul airport to provide security and to facilitate the State Department's chaotic effort to evacuate thousands of Americans and tens of thousands of Afghans who had helped the United States during the war.

The evacuation was marred by confusion and chaos as the U.S. government was caught by surprise when the Afghan army collapsed and the Taliban swept to power Aug.15.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

edexworks
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp