DR Congo, M23 fighters agree roadmap for peace talks: joint statement

The talks held behind closed doors from August 17 to August 21 also included representatives from the United States, Qatar, Switzerland, and the African Union Commission.
FILE - The two sides said they had "agreed on the importance of a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations".
FILE - The two sides said they had "agreed on the importance of a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations".Photo | AP
Updated on
1 min read

GENEVA: The Democratic Republic of Congo and the Rwanda-backed M23 armed group have agreed on a roadmap for peace talks, according to a joint statement published Sunday by Switzerland after hosting negotiations.

The eastern DRC has been riven by decades of conflict, with multiple armed groups fighting over its mineral-rich territory, including the M23, which seized swathes of the region last year.

The two sides signed a US-brokered peace agreement late last year in the Qatari capital Doha, but fighting has continued.

Following a new round of talks held in Switzerland last week, the two sides and their mediators said they had staked out a path forward.

"The Parties developed a roadmap setting out sequenced steps and timelines for negotiations under the Doha Framework Agreement, and committed to flexibility and creativity within the existing structure" of that agreement, the statement said.

"They reaffirmed their commitment to pursue negotiations towards comprehensive peace and conflict resolution through the implementation of the Framework Agreement," it added.

The talks, held behind closed doors from August 17 to August 21, also included representatives from the United States, Qatar, Switzerland, the African Union Commission and Togo, serving as African Union mediator.

The two sides said they had "agreed on the importance of a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations".

A first ceasefire verification mission is due in Minembwe, in DRC's South Kivu province, on Monday, according to the statement.

The sides had also agreed to establish a "mechanism tasked with reviewing progress and addressing challenges in implementation of obligations and commitments under the Doha Framework Agreement", it said.

FILE - The two sides said they had "agreed on the importance of a standardised method for reporting allegations of ceasefire violations".
IS-linked fighters kill 14 in DR Congo attack

X
The New Indian Express
www.newindianexpress.com