Vedanta bags bankrupt Electrosteel Steels

The Anil Agarwal-led Vedanta informed the stock exchanges that it has been declared the “successful resolution applicant” under the insolvency process and has received the Letter of Intent.

Published: 18th April 2018 01:11 AM  |   Last Updated: 18th April 2018 01:11 AM   |  A+A-

Vedanta office building (Photo | Reuters)

NEW DELHI: The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) Kolkata Bench on Tuesday approved Vedanta Limited’s resolution plan for the insolvent Electrosteel Steels, making it the first company among the 12 large corporate defaulters — also known as the ‘Dirty Dozen’ — to be resolved under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code.

The Division Bench comprising Justice Jinan K R and Justice Madan Balachandra Gosavi, in its order, said that “the approved (by Committee of Creditors) resolution plan shall come into force with immediate effect.”

The Anil Agarwal-led Vedanta informed the stock exchanges that it has been declared the “successful resolution applicant” under the insolvency process and has received the Letter of Intent. The resolution plan involved about `5,300 crore cash payout, but has different components to it.

Vedanta said that pursuant to the resolution plan, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the company will subscribe to the share capital of Electrosteel for an aggregate amount of `1,805 crore and provide additional funds with an aggregate of Rs 3,515 crore by way of debt. Electrosteel owes lenders more than Rs 13,000 crore, of which about Rs 5,000 crore is to the State Bank of India alone.

Upon implementation of the resolution plan, Vendanta will hold approximately 90 per cent of the paid-up share capital of Electrosteel, while the remaining 10 per cent will be held by the Electrosteel’s existing shareholders and financial creditors, who would receive shares in exchange of the debt owed to them.

Vedanta is now awaiting the CCI (Competition Commission of India) approval, for which they had applied about 10 days ago. The approval should be through quickly in the next two to three weeks. Tata Steel and Renaissance Steel were the two other bidders for Electrosteel.

Stay up to date on all the latest Business news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.