A leaking gas cylinder caused a loud explosion at a temple in Banashankari on Sunday.
Residents of Cauvery Nagar II Stage in Banashankari panicked after they heard a blast from the Mari temple (also known as the Kannika Parameshwari temple) on 7th Main late on Sunday.A bomb disposal squad and officers of the Intelligence Bureau rushed to the spot and initially concluded the blast was caused by oil lamps burning and creating combustible gases in the dingy 10 x 10 ft room.
The incident took place at 9.10 pm. Following day-long investigations, police arrested priest Mahesh Bhat, who had allegedly forgotten to switch off the regulator of an LPG cylinder used inside the sanctum sanctorum.Around 8.30 pm, Bhat left for home after locking the temple door. Power supply was interrupted a little later.When the power came back on, it triggered an explosion. Neighbours alerted the police, who rushed to inspect the spot.Due to the impact, the wooden door of the sanctum sanctorum was blown off and all four walls had developed cracks. On hearing of the blast, Bhat allegedly beat the police to the spot and hid the cylinder. But a sniffer dog went near a gas cylinder near the temple. Forensic experts who examined the cylinder concluded the explosion had taken place because of a gas leak.
Bhat reportedly said he had hidden the cylinder fearing people would thrash him if they found out the reason for the blast. Before going home, he had turned off the stove but forgotten to turn off the regulator attached to the cylinder.