Oscar De La Renta's Designs Celebrated Feminine Beauty

Published: 27th October 2014 06:01 AM  |   Last Updated: 27th October 2014 06:01 AM   |  A+A-


BANGALORE : Author Elizabeth Gilbert of Eat Pray Love  fame mourned designer Oscar de la Renta thus, "I never had princess fantasies as a young girl. I dressed like a boy forever. My first wedding dress cost $200, and my second wedding dress wasn't even a dress. But then my life changed, and suddenly I was invited to EVENTS, and I needed pretty dresses. I bought an Oscar de la Renta gown to wear to the premiere of Eat Pray Love and I had never felt so beautiful. I never even knew that I wanted to feel that beautiful. I have been wearing his dresses ever since, and each time it makes a special day into a SPECIAL DAY. I was so saddened today to hear of his passing. From all reports, he was not just a gifted man, but an extraordinarily kind one. Thank you, Oscar, for having made a lady out of me." She is  not alone in articulating that sentiment. Oscar de la Renta designed with great insight for several Hollywood stars like Penélope Cruz and Sandra Bullock for more than four decades.  He knew that women did not just want to feel beautiful. They wanted to feel happy in their skins, in their bodies. And he made them  feel exactly that. Like Gilbert said, " Thank you, our dear departed Mr de la Renta, for having made the "costumes" that have given me 90 per cent of the confidence I've needed for my tours. As for the other 10 per cent?  That's just me, faking it till I make it."

The designer who died at his home  on October  20 leaves behind a rich legacy of style and his contributions to the world of fashion will always be remembered.

Stay up to date on all the latest Bengaluru news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp