For Lakshitha who is in her early teens, damaged hair was a matter of concern because of split ends. She was also suffering from excessive hair loss. A specialist told her that she was suffering from trichoptilosis, a condition leading to splitting and fraying of the hair mostly caused by poor diet. “The patient was an irregular eater and this was the reason behind her hair loss,” says Dr NC Jaidev Yadav, consultant dermatologist, Guna Skin, Hair & Laser Clinic.
Suma, a homemaker, suffered from split ends and hair fall because of excessive use of hair styling tools and chemicals."The patient was asked to cut hair ends, advised to use coconut oil before bath and to put the hair straightener away,” adds Dr Yadav.
Dr Sachith Abraham, consultant dermatologist and head of department, Manipal Hospital, Bengaluru, endorses the regular snipping of hair ends.
“This apart, one must avoid harsh shampoos and caustic chemicals, avoid excessive use of the curling iron and other hot iron treatments. Use only mild shampoos and conditioners and do not use even them very frequently,” says Dr Abraham.
He adds that the delay in treatment leads to hair weakness and consequent breakage of the hair shaft. If harsh shampoos are used, hair becomes rough, dull and lustreless. He says," Loss of hair can lead to anxiety and cause low self-esteem and confidence.”
How to protect your hair
- Avoid parlour straightening
- Avoid excessive force while combing or brushing hair
- Cysteine deficiency is also a cause
- Avoid excessive use of conditioner
- Instead of harsh chemicals, use coconut and olive oil and soapnut
- Oiling two hours before bath is a good solution
- Food with vitamin C, proteins, elements like niacin, biotin and iron content can play an important role in nourishing hair from within.
- Smash ripe papaya, mix it with plain yogurt to apply on hair once a week.
- Mix castor oil, mustard oil, and olive oil and apply on scalp once a week.
- Apply honey and curd on the ends, leave for a while and rinse. Even application of warm ghee can help.
- Consume avocados, almonds, and cashews.