Boy electrocuted in private school?
By Express News Service | Published: 13th December 2012 08:51 AM |
A 10-year-old student of a private school died of suspected electrocution at the school at Nandhiyambakkam near Ponneri on Tuesday.
Police said Logesh (10), a Class V student of Venkateswara Vidyalaya, was found unconscious in the school after his special classes. He was rushed to a nearby private hospital where the doctors referred him to the Government General Hospital. At the GH, the doctors declared him dead on arrival. Enraged by his death, the parents and relatives laid siege to the Minjur Police station and sought action against the school management late on Tuesday.
The police assured the family that action would be taken and took a complaint from Baskar, the boy’s father. Meanwhile, the relatives staged a road blockade for about 30 minutes seeking action against the management for negligence.
Speaking to the media, the protestors said the boy was playing hide-and-seek in the school after the special class. “There was a leak in the high power junction box set up for the school auditorium. He accidentally touched the leaking wires and was electrocuted. But the school management was trying to conceal that fact,” they said.
“This was the third such incident in the school. Earlier this year, a girl student dozed off in the class and was later rescued by her parents. Another student had sustained a head injury as he was pushed down by his friends,” they claimed.
Ponneri DSP Jagadeeshwaran arrived at the scene and pacified the protestors after which they dispersed.
A post mortem was performed on Logesh. Police, said it was too early to comment on the role of the management.