Auto meter deadline slips into grace time

Unions attribute delay in process to fewer re-calibration centres and lack of financial resources for purchasing expensive device.

Published: 16th October 2013 07:45 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th October 2013 07:45 AM   |  A+A-

Auto-Meter

When the deadline for re-calibrating autorickshaw meters to display the revised tariff ended on Tuesday, less than 40 per cent of the autos had fallen in line. The State government accepted the auto union’s request and offered a couple of days grace time to enable compliance by the remaining 60 per cent.

In all, 71,470 autos ply in the city, of which 61,663 collected their rate cards from the respective Regional Transport Offices (RTOs). However, 26,431 autos alone have re-calibrated their meters and secured approval from RTOs so far.

Auto unions attributed the delay to fewer re-calibration centres and lack of financial resources. Balu, district secretary, South Chennai of the CITU Auto Workers Union, told the media that there were only 39 centres in Chinthadripet, Parrys, Egmore and T Nagar, which could perform re-calibration. “They are overloaded with work as each centre gets about 200 meters for servicing each day. Identifying the fault itself takes about two days. Besides, an autorickshaw union in the city has moved the Madras High Court seeking extension of the meter deadline. The court sought the government’s reply by October 21,” he said.

A new meter costs about Rs 3,000. Autorickshaw drivers can’t muster so much resources within a short span of time, he argued.

According to a Transport department official, re-calibration centres would function on Bakrid to cope with the rush. “We ‘ve allowed a grace time of couple of days. After that, compliance will be monitored,” he said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp