CHENNAI: Three persons, including two firemen, engaged in dousing a fire following an electrical short-circuit leading to a LPG cylinder blast at a residential building, were injured in Old Washermenpet, in the wee hours of Friday.
Fire and Rescue Services sources said a fire alert was sounded from Azeez Mohammed Street, Old washermanpet, past midnight around 12.40 am.
Mohammed, owner of the building was residing in the first floor with his family, while the ground and second floors were rented out to tenants.
Fire broke out at the tenement of Amjid Khan (45) and fire tenders from Tondiarpet and Washermenpet were pressed into service around 1 am.
Despite the efforts to douse the fire, the heat generated was so high that it led to the expansion of an unused cylinder kept in the hall, triggering the blast. Two firemen — Senthilkumar (36) and Kaviyarasu (22), suffered burns as they were exposed to the blaze from the blast, while Amjid Khan suffered minor burns.
The injured firemen were rushed to the Kilpauk Medical College Hospital where the doctors said they had sustained 18 per cent burns.