CHENNAI: Over 50 inmates of Dr Ambedkar Government Law College hostel were taken to the Government Kilpauk Medical College Hospital, after six students had vomiting, diarrhoea and giddiness after taking contaminated drinking water supplied to the hostel on Thursday.
Students were shocked to find the reason for their condition — a stray dog, suspected to have been dead about three days ago, was found floating in the drinking water sump at the hostel.
Kesavan, a final year student told Express that two students initially had vomiting and diarrhoea from noon, and their condition deteriorated rapidly.
“It was then that the students noticed a dead dog floating in the drinking water sump. We have been fighting the management for basic amenities in the hostel but nothing has changed,” Kesavan alleged.
The students alleged that whenever they raised a complaint with the hostel warden or supervisor, they just pointed fingers at PWD officials.
Hospital Dean Dr Narayana Babu said, though nearly 56 students were taken to the hospital in a hurry, only six were affected.
“They were put on IV fluid and were given oral rehydration solution, while the rest were kept under observation. Two special wards have been allotted, and two teams comprising five doctors each have been designated to attend to them,” he added.