CHENNAI: A businessman, reported missing for the last two days, was found dead in his car parked near his house at Nerkundram on Friday. Police suspect leakage of poisonous gases from the car AC could had resulted in the death.
If what police believe is true, it is yet another warning of the dangers in the air- cooling systems in cars. The city has been witnessing such incidents occasionally.
The victim Selvamani, a resident of Mettukuppam at Nerkundram, runs a fabric business. He had left home on Wednesday after a quarrel with his wife, police said.
While he had been missing since then, on Friday, passersby sensed a foul smell from the Wagon R car parked on the roadside. On information, the police recovered the body and sent it for an autopsy. It was identified to be that of Selvamani.
“The body was found in a lying position in the front next to the driver’s seat. The AC was on in the car and the diesel had exhausted, causing the engine to shut off. We suspect carbon-monoxide from the engine could had filled the car cabin and caused a slow, painless death to the occupant,” said a police official.
Since the car was parked just 200 metres away from his house, police suspect Selvamani had chosen to sleep in the car. He was also reportedly drunk on Wednesday.
From the level of decomposition, police suspect Selvamani died onv Wednesday night. Police are investigating to ascertain if this is a case of accident or suicide.