Expert explains

Published: 16th July 2016 03:50 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th July 2016 03:50 AM   |  A+A-

1 I first filed a case via an advocate at 128 Additional Law Chambers, which was subsequently entrusted to a senior advocate. The latter suddenly expired. Now his family says they are not able to locate the papers. Kindly enlighten on how to proceed.


You can reconstruct the case papers by getting certified copies from the court.


2 My sister , Sridevi Tiwari is a US citizen who is settled in the US with her husband Jaya Tiwari. Mr. Jaya Tiwari had his father's  house in Bengaluru whose current value is close to 2 crores. Around 3 years ago, Mr. Jaya's mother passed away and now the property is enjoyed by two younger brothers. During the funeral, Mr. Jaya was rushed to the registration office and forced to sign some papers, which he did without enquiry due to being in a state of shock. Later on returning to America his business ran into losses and he was affected with cancer, due to which his family is in extremely dire straits. It would help if the house is sold and profits shared equally among the three brothers, with each one getting around 50 lakhs.But one of the younger brothers, who is well-settled, has not bothered to share the registered copy.Mr. Jaya is more worried about his health while my sister Sridevi wants to get something out of this deal so that it could benefit her family.Can Sridevi file a case in India, or should it be filed by her husband Jaya? How can we get a copy of the registered certificate, especially when we're not sure of what Jaya signed?

Kavitha Ashwin

Engage a local counsel.  He can search for the records in the concerned registrar office and locate the document in which Jaya Tiwari had signed.  Unless one knows what is the nature of that document, further course of action is not possible. Any case regarding the property can only be filed by your brother-in-law until he is alive.


3 I am a central government employee posted in Chennai. I recently got married and my wife lives with my in-laws since she doesn't want to stay with my parents. My father is a cardiac patient and due to the nature of my job, I am unable to take them along with me. But my in-laws are continously pressurising me to take my wife along with me, else they are threatening to file a false case against me(Dowry,CrPC 498A etc).They insist that I leave my parents and don't give a penny to them, even though everybody knows that my parents are dependent on me.This has taken a toll on my job. How can I solve this?

Jitender Saini

Live with your wife with or without your parents. In case they stay separately, pay for their maintenance because the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 obliges you to maintain them.  This you can explain to your in-laws.


4 I am a retired 66-year-old living in Chennai. I have investments in Mutual funds Bank FDs,  superannuation funds provided by company (from LIC) providing an annuity , a land plot that I bought in 1984 and joint ownership in a flat in Chennai (where we live now) with my son as the primary owner. I would like to pass on all my investments to my wife and son while I am alive and avoid the protracted and lengthy legal procedures that could come post my passing away.  I have nominations to all my investments except the real estate, but I am told that even nominations are not adequate(legally) to ensure the heirs get my investments quickly.Can you please advise if there are simpler ways to handle this?

N S Raghavan

Nominations are enough to succeed on the investments.  With reference to real estate owned by you, you can write a will.


Justice K Chandru is a former judge of the Madras High Court

Email your queries to with your full name and phone number

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp