CHENNAI: Stomach ulcers also known as peptic ulcers are holes or erosions in the protective lining of the stomach, the esophagus or the duodenum. Gastric ulcers are those that form in the stomach and esophageal ulcers form in the esophagus and are relatively rare.
Symptoms of stomach ulcers
- Pain in the upper abdomen between meals
- Dark, bloody stools
- Acidic feeling in the stomach
- Unexpected weight loss
You should call a doctor immediately if
- you have been diagnosed with stomach ulcers and start showing symptoms of anemia, fatigue and a pale complexion. This may indicate that the ulcer is bleeding.
- you have symptoms of a peptic ulcer develop severe back pain which may be caused by the ulcer perforating the stomach wall.
It is believed that bacterial infections cause peptic ulcers. The bacterium known as Helicobacter pylori has been found to be present in 92% of duodenal ulcer cases and 73% of gastric ulcer cases.
- People who smoke heavily are more likely to have duodenal ulcers
- People who drink excessively are more prone to develop esophageal ulcers
Siddha Aspect of Peptic Ulcer
Peptic ulcer is called as gunmam in siddha and has 8 types based on the humour affected. Eri gunmam and vali gunmam are common types we see due to pittha and vatha elevation respectively.
- Drinking cabbage juice will increase the growth of mucin-producing cells.
- Take a spoon of cumin seeds and powder it after roasting. A spoon of this powder can be taken with butter in an empty stomach.
- Chew fresh leaves and fruits of Solanum nigrum (sun berry-mana thakkali) in the morning and evening.
Sangu parpam / silasatthu parpam and pavala parpam 200 mg twice daily with butter.
Tripala choornam 2 gms twice daily with water.
Athimathura choornam 2 gms twice a day with water will offer relief.
— (Government Siddha Physician, Tiruchy)