Go Barring Expo at Ambattur Ground Stayed

Interim order said the land belonged to a private company and that the organisers had followed proper procedures

Published: 09th May 2016 04:15 AM  |   Last Updated: 09th May 2016 04:15 AM   |  A+A-

DUNLOPGROUND1

In yet another turn in the Ambattur “playground” case, the High Court on Saturday stayed the government order prohibiting the exhibition organisers from setting up stage at the playground. Citing that the land belonged to a private company and that the organisers had followed proper procedures to lease the land for the exhibition, the court issued an interim stay.

When the government order was passed on Thursday, the exhibition organisers approached the High Court for a stay, which was granted by Justice K K Sasidharan at his residence. The order stated that the “petitioner had rightfully sought the permission of the Tamil Nadu Development and Information (Exhibition) Department after getting a ‘no objection’ certificate from various government departments and was also granted permission by the owners of the vacant land, Dunlop India Limited”. Despite the grant, the Tiruvallur Collector cancelled the earlier grant without informing the petitioner, citing there was a dispute pending against Dunlop.

According to the documents produced by the company,  the Calcutta High Court had passed a ‘winding-up’ order against Dunlop, but the order had been ‘stayed’ by the Supreme Court ruling that “the special officer would continue to prepare the inventory of the assets, but the land would remain in possession of the company”. Taking the Supreme Court’s order into account, the High Court ruled that the exhibition organisers had rightfully leased the land.

Speaking to Express, Dunlop spokesperson said, “We were aware that the land was being used by the residents for various sports activities, but it is a private property and we have given permission to the exhibition organisers. The case between the employees and management has nothing to do with the land,” he said. For months now, the Ambattur residents have been fighting against the exhibition organisers.

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp