CHENNAI: Mouth ulcers are painful round, oval sores, usually white, red, yellow or grey in colour and are inflamed (red and swollen) around the edge.
Types of mouth ulcers: • Minor ulcers — 2-8 mm in diameter that usually clear up in 10-14 days.• Major ulcers — these are bigger and deeper, often with a raised or irregular border. They can take several weeks to heal.• Herpetiform (Herpes) ulcers: This is a cluster of smaller sores, the size of pinheads.
Causes for Mouth Ulcers
• Mental stress
• Tissue injury caused by external injury or by dental appliance etc.
• Oral thrush is caused by Candida fungus in mouth. They are caused due to lowered immunity, as seen in diabetes, HIV infection, excess use of antibiotics, and corticosteroids etc.
Mouth Ulcers as per Siddha
In Siddha, oral ulcers are explained as akkaram.
Causative Factors for Mouth Ulcers
• Excess intake of dry, rough, penetrative (spicy) food and beverages (pittha aggravating)
• Improper sleep or disturbed sleep
• Food, beverages which vitiate vata and pitta dosha
• Excess intake of fried foods5) Insufficient intake of liquids or water or fasting
Include ghee, raisins, cucumber, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, green leafy vegetables almond, and dates in diet. Have tender coconut water or sugarcane juice twice or thrice a week.
Line of Treatment in Siddha
For severe mouth ulcer in its chronic condition, rattha suddhi (purificatory therapy) is recommended. For mild mouth ulcers, local applications and coolants are suggested.Mouth gargling and oral medicaments yield considerable results in mouth ulcer.
In case of reduced immunity, Siddha rejuvenation (anti-ageing) treatment is administered with medicines like nellikai legium.
Simple Siddha Remedies
• The tender leaves or fruit buds of guava are taken and chewed;
• Equal quantity of venkara parpam (dehydrated borax) and honey are taken and mixed well. This is applied to the lesions of mouth ulcers for 2-3 days
• Athimadhuram (chewing) — coarse powder of licorice is chewed slowly.
• Triphala kashayam (gargling)
• Local application of honey, coconut oil or ghee
— Dr B Thamizhkkani
(Government Siddha Physician, Tiruchy)