State fire department to get more powers
By C Shivakumar | Express News Service | Published: 14th August 2017 01:23 AM |
CHENNAI: The State government is planning to give more powers to Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Service. The State is working on formulating an area-based comprehensive fire safety management plan for Chennai’s Central Business District (CBD), including areas like T Nagar, as well as other key commercial areas of Chennai Metropolitan Area.
The study will identify main business and commercial areas in the city that are vulnerable to fire and create an action plan on how to fight and control fire in these areas. During a recent review meeting chaired by the Housing Secretary, the need to increase the scope of fire service with more enforcement powers was discussed.
Sources indicated that the study will also look into consulting private fire safety training institutes for fire safety management plan. V Sivaramakrishnan, a fire consultant, welcomed the move by the government to involve training institutes. However, he said the government has to ensure that fire fighting equipment are installed by licensed consultants.
“Currently, focus on fire safety is lacking while designing a building. The builders take help of unprofessional persons to install fire equipment which can prove costly during crisis situations,” he added.
Meanwhile, officials are planning to include a ‘fire-safe building practice’ clause. This rule could be included at the time of issuing building permits, and include use of fire resistant materials in construction of a building.
1. List out priority business and commercial areas in the heart of the city and commercial areas around CMA and prepare techniques to contain fire during exigencies
2. Third party annual fire safety auditing of buildings
3. Inclusion of fire-safe building practices clause for issuing building permit
4. Ensuring that fire safety equipment are installed by licensed fire consultants
5. Giving more enforcement powers to TNFRS