Justice K Chandru answers questions posed by readers

Justice K Chandru is a former judge of the Madras High Court, and answers questions posed by the readers. 

Published: 23rd January 2017 03:52 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd January 2017 03:52 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

CHENNAI: 1. The builder of our apartments is refusing to pay his contribution for the three unsold flats towards the corpus fund of the residents association we are forming. The bye-laws of the association clearly says the builder has to contribute for the unsold flats. Can the builder take such a stand?— T Sajiv

If the bye-laws are clear regarding contribution towards corpus fund, even for unsold flats, either you can file a civil suit for recovery of the sum required to be paid by the builder or if there is any clause in the Joint Development Agreement for arbitration, you can go for arbitration of the issue involved.

2. The Article 47 of Constitution stipulates that the State should endeavour for prohibition. But the state governments are themselves selling liquor. Can it be challenged on this account in a court of law?— JC Vasanth

Article 47 comes under Part IV of the Constitution providing for Directive Principles for State Policy. They are not specifically enforceable in court and they will govern the State in making laws. Unless there is a people’s movement for total prohibition, the successive state governments will make money both for the state and to fill their own private pockets. The Supreme Court rejected an appeal against Madras High Court’s order demanding total prohibition and one of the judge in the bench told the petitioner “there are more number of road accidents” and asked the petitioner to concentrate on ‘traffic’.

3. I wish to settle my self-earned property (land) to my two daughters after the lifetime of my wife and I. I am settling it to avoid legal disputes later. Will such settlement made now attract any capital gains claim from Income Tax?— Ramakrishnan, Anna Nagar

If you want to settle the property in favour of your daughters after yours and your wife’s lifetime, you will have to pay stamp duty on the value of the property. If you write a will that will serve the purpose and that will also not attract any capital gains tax.

4. I was admitted in a partnership deed when I was a minor with limited liability. The profits belonging to me were clearly quantified and shown in the account books of the firm. After 10 years, the managing partner is not giving me my share of profits. The partners are just giving excuses. Please advise how I can get my money from the firm. — Mayavan Gopinath, Adyar

You can file a suit against the managing partner for dissolution of partnership under section 44(d) of the Partnership Act 1932. If the court finds that a partner wilfully or persistently commits  breach of agreements relating to the management of the affairs of the firm of the conduct of its business; or otherwise so conducts himself in matters relating to the  business that it is not reasonably practicable for the other partners to carry on the business in partnership with him can dissolve the partnership and give your share as per the partnership agreement.

Justice K Chandru is a former judge of the Madras High Court

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp