Go gaga over Gogo on new year’s

We all crave comfort food from time to time and what idly, dosa and copious amounts of sambhar is to a South Indian, Ramen is for the Japanese.

Published: 14th November 2017 10:25 PM  |   Last Updated: 15th November 2017 07:42 AM   |  A+A-


Express News Service

CHENNAI: We all crave comfort food from time to time and what idly, dosa and copious amounts of sambhar is to a South Indian, Ramen is for the Japanese. Homemade noodles, dipped in a well seasoned warm broth with vegetables, boiled egg, meat, spinach, bamboo shoots, and tender seaweed with robust flavours is a vivid representation of the authentic Ramen. While the city is now accustomed to the Japanese sushi, Ramens are also slowly getting to the ‘must try list’.

What began as a minimalistic menu of just two styles of Ramen (pork and veg) has grown into something bigger. “A lot of the additions in the menu are inputs from the Japanese expats. There have been times when the women diners have given recipes off their Japanese kitchens too! We have a 60% footfall of foreigners (including Japanese) and the rest 40% is the local crowd,” shares Vishanth Vibhaker, as he slurps down the popular Gogo Ramen. “The Japanese who come here to eat will finish this bowl in under five minutes and slurping is the way to eat it!”

The four-year old restaurant began with a slow start but, it has gradually gained momentum, thanks to enthusiastic new-age foodies who are open to exploring, and the influence of manga and Anime in the city.
Vishanth and his wife Kalyani Rajah are also focused on creating awareness about the Japanese street food delicacy. From teaching the customers to use chopsticks to explaining about a bowl of Ramen, they are up for it all! “The city still lacks awareness about Ramens. So, if the customers are interested, we are more than happy to explain it to them,” smiles Kalyani.

The restaurant is ready for a facelift and the ambiance and decor will be ‘quirked up’ to suit the taste of the Chennaiites, without compromising the noodle bar look. “We will also be having some new additions to the menu and will be dabbling with broths like Shio (salt), clear and milky broths,” says Vishanth. The duo are also in talks of opening another outlet in Sri City, an industrial hub which has been seeing a flux in Japanese expats.

A revamped Gogo ramen will open to public for the new year’s. “We will have our regular services until then. Work for the facelift will start soon,” he adds.

Gogo Ramen is at 283, Yass Tower, TTK Road, Alwarpet.
For details, call: 42061392

Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp