DTCP on mega campaign to regulate unplanned development

It is learnt that only a meagre 5 per cent area in Tamil Nadu has a master plan while the growth is unplanned and thus haphazard in the rest of 95 per cent area of the state.

Published: 08th November 2018 01:42 AM  |   Last Updated: 08th November 2018 01:42 AM   |  A+A-

DTCP_building

Image for representational purpose (File |EPS)

Express News Service

CHENNAI: In a bid to regulate 95 per cent area of Tamil Nadu, which is unplanned, the Directorate of Town and Country Planning will launch a massive campaign with the help of developers and other stakeholders to spread awareness of the necessity of obtaining planning permission and the process involved so that orderly development is possible.

This comes as Commissioner of Town and Country Planning Beela Rajesh has circulated mails to various stakeholders on generating awareness about obtaining building permission and approval for layouts and to enable them to know the land use classification and how to obtain completion certificate. However, the list of stakeholders is not made public online and planners are questioning the lack of transparency over the stakeholders involved.

Ajit Kumar Chordia, president, Confederation of Real Estate Developers Associations of India (CREDAI), Tamil Nadu, told Express that CREDAI was approached and they have nominated an agency. “The campaign is basically for lesser known developers who are unaware of the development regulations,” he said.

It is learnt that only a meagre 5 per cent area in the state has a master plan while the growth is unplanned and thus haphazard in the rest of 95 per cent area of the state. This also comes as the state government asked the Housing department last year to prepare not just a detailed note on developing land use plans for the whole State and stressed the need for a process of obtaining approvals in both plan and non-plan areas and an interim arrangement for uncovered areas.

DTCP sources said that as part of the awareness campaign, people would be educated on verifying the layout or plot approved by the Town and Country Planning department in the website www.tn.gov.in/tcp. They could also verify whether the local body has granted regularisation order for the plot under the unapproved layout plot regularisation scheme in the website.

This comes as more than 56,000 layouts including 20 lakh plots in these layouts from across the state have applied for regularisation. Other than that, the focus will also be on how to obtain building permission. For ordinary buildings not having more than four dwelling units and not exceeding 4,000 square feet and not more than ground-plus first floor permissions can be obtained from local body while respective field units of the DTCP will give permission for special buildings and multi-storied buildings. Details about land use classifications and details of permissions issued for buildings, layouts  can be accessed by sending requests to egovdtcp@tn.gov.in or by calling 044-28521115/2821116.

Permits

  • People will be made aware of whether a layout is approved by DTCP or not
  • Layout extent up to 10 acres in rural areas and up to five acres in urban areas can get permit from DTCP field offices and anything above requires the approval of Commissioner of Town and Country Planning
Stay up to date on all the latest Chennai news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp