Rs 48.88 crore earmarked for metro land acquisition

Published: 11th March 2013 10:12 AM  |   Last Updated: 11th March 2013 10:12 AM   |  A+A-

The compensation amount for the parties who have surrendered their land for the preparatory works of Kochi Metro Rail will be given at the earliest, district administration officials have said. A sum of Rs 48.88 crore has been earmarked for the land acquisition. The district administration has already paid Rs 21.59 crore as compensation for the land acquired, taking the total fund allocation for the purpose to Rs 70.47 crore. The preparatory works include the widening of Banerjee Road, M G Road, South Railway Station Road and for the construction of new Rail Overbridge near KSRTC station and the foot overbridge.

The District Collector’s office will start the distribution of compensation amount as per the completion of the assessment of the documents submitted by persons those who have surrendered the land. “A consensus has been reached between the parties concerned and the district-level purchase Committee on the price of the land acquired. The compensation package was approved by the State High-level Committee. Once the land acquisition for the preparatory works is completed, the district administration will begin the procedures for acquiring land for the project,” the District Collector said in a statement. As a first step, the district administration has finalised the price for the land to be acquired for the Metro yard to come up at Muttam. The cost of one cent of land at Muttam has been finalised at `1.02 lakh and a total of 41 acres of land will be acquired at the site. The land at the proposed site belongs to 116 persons, and all the plots will be acquired after handing over 80 per cent of compensation amount to all the parties. The remaining 20 per cent compensation amount will be given after receiving the nod from the High-level Committee.

For the construction of the Metro stations, Via Ducts and the Muttam Yard, a total of 78.89 acres need to be acquired. Out of the total land, 20.60 acres belong to the state government.

The district administration will also take steps to hand over 17.3 acres of land, identified for Metro Business District at Kakkanad, to KMRL. A total of 33 acres was identified for the Business Village while another 2333.57 acres need to be acquired for the Metro Village to come up at Muttam.

Stay up to date on all the latest Kochi news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp