Kochi: One dies in firecracker mishap at Karukutty
By Express News Service | Published: 17th April 2018 04:11 AM |
KOCHI: A 23-year-old was killed and two others suffered serious burn injuries after the firecrackers stored in a building as part of a chapel feast caught fire accidentally in Angamaly on Sunday night. The deceased is Simon, son of Shaju, a resident of Mambra. Two others, Justin James,14, and Joyal Biju, 15, have been admitted to the Ernakulam Medical Centre with 50 per cent burns.The incident occurred during the feast at a chapel at Assissi Nagar, Karukutty, on Sunday night after the entire stock of firecrackers caught fire and exploded, according to eyewitnesses.
The incident occurred at 8.30 pm when a cracker meant to explode in the air fell near the storehouse, igniting the firecrackers stored there. Simon was bringing the crackers from the storeroom when the explosion occurred. He got trapped inside the storeroom after someone closed the door of the room to prevent fire from spreading to nearby areas.
Though he was rushed to a nearby hospital, he was declared brought dead, said a police officer. Local residents doused the fire before the Fire and Rescue Services personnel from Angamaly reached the spot. The Angamaly Police have registered a case on charges under relevant sections of the Explosive Act and also for Culpable Homicide under section 304 of IPC. No permission was given for procuring huge quantity of firecrackers. Further, they were stored in a single room of a sports club without taking adequate safety precautions.
A probe is under way into the incident, the officer said.Though two other persons Meljo Paulose, 35, and Stephin Jose,32, suffered injuries, their condition is stated to be stable, said hospital authorities.Simon was a headload worker at Karukutty. The body was handed over to relatives after conducting an autopsy at the Medical College, Kalamassery.