Madonna's Battle for Custody of Son is Played Out on Court Video

Madonna and her former husband Guy Ritchie both appeared via video link in a Manhattan court to continue the custody battle for son Rocco.

Published: 03rd March 2016 08:46 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd March 2016 08:48 AM   |  A+A-

Madonna4AP

NEW YORK: Madonna and her former husband Guy Ritchie both appeared via video link in a Manhattan court yesterday (Wednesday) to continue their increasingly acrimonious battle for custody of their 15-year-old son, Rocco.

The 57-year-old singer divorced Ritchie in 2008, and was granted shared custody of their children - Rocco, and David Banda, 10, who was adopted from Malawi. Madonna also has a daughter Lourdes, 19, by the actor Carlos Leon and in 2009 adopted Mercy, a Malawian girl, also 10.

The children had accompanied her on her Rebel Heart tour, which began in Montreal in September and has seen her criss-cross the US, Europe, South America and Asia. Madonna has a few days off before her tour, which is promoting her 13th album, continues in New Zealand this weekend.

But it was while the family was in Europe that Rocco decided he wanted to stay in London with his father, rather than be based in New York and travel with his mother.

Mr Ritchie, currently directing Jude Law in Knights of the Round Table: King Arthur, married model Jacqui Ainsley this summer, and lives in London with her and their three sons.

In December, Judge Deborah Kaplan ordered that Rocco should discuss the matter with Madonna, and then revisit the issue of which parent he prefers. He has since remained in London, pictured last week spending time with Brooklyn Beckham - David and Victoria Beckham's 16-year-old son - in Notting Hill.

"He has expressed very clearly that he does not want to return to New York," said Eric Buckley, Mr Ritchie's lawyer, in December.

Madonna has taken to social media as part of her increasingly desperate attempts to win her son over. The singer posted a photograph of him on Instagram last week with the caption: "I miss this boy so full of life ..." Referring to his star sign, she added: "I hope we see that Leo Sun soon. The light is blinding."

A fortnight ago she posted a photo of Rocco as a baby, with the caption, in French, saying: "I miss you."

Reports of the court proceedings in New York did not specify why Rocco prefers to stay in London. Asked if she could provide some clarity on the legal situation and what the next move would be in the case, one of Madonna's representatives said: "Sadly not."

The singer has frequently posted photos of her children - something which has led to speculation that Rocco was uncomfortable with his mother's use of social media. Last year she posted on Instagram a picture of her son with his hair in bunches, and a video of Rocco performing a backflip wearing only boxer shorts.

Stay up to date on all the latest Entertainment English news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp