Lt Gen Brar back in Mumbai, Z-plus security cover likely
By Yatish Yadav / ENS | Published: 04th October 2012 08:33 AM |
Intelligence agencies have launched a security audit to update the threat perception to Lt Gen (Retd) K S Brar in India. The 78-year-old was back in Mumbai on Wednesday, after his harrowing experience in London where he and his wife were attacked by four youth near Hyde Park on Sunday.
Sources said intelligence agencies on Tuesday received inputs about the role of active Dal Khalsa outfits in the attack, which is linked to Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) headed by Pakistan-based commander Wadhwa Singh. But the information is yet to be verified.
“Wadhwa has close links with Pakistan’s ISI and managed to recruit several youth in the UK and Germany. He is also on the most wanted list of terrorists handed over to Pakistan by the Indian Government. Lt Gen Brar was on the BKI’s radar for some time and that is why the ministry had provided him with ‘Z’ category security. Agencies were also keeping a watch on BKI’s activities in the country,” sources said.
Sources in the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA)said Lt Gen Brar would soon be moved out of Mumbai and his security status upgraded to ‘Z-plus’.
Lt Gen Brar, who led Operation Blue Star in 1984 against Sikh militants, had told reporters in London that there were a lot of hate messages, online threats and pledges from radical Sikh outfits to kill him. However, he mentioned that he did not inform the MHA about his security abroad as he never wanted to appear prominent in public and only informed army command in Mumbai. The MHA officials confirmed that no communication had been received from the Army or from Lt Gen Brar about his travel plan to London.
“His stay in London and attack has also made his daughter and extended family vulnerable as radical elements may try to harm them. We are in touch with the Ministry of External Affairs to deal with the situation. His Mumbai location is also not safe. That is why ministry has decided to shift the family to a safer location,” sources said.
Meanwhile, Scotland Yard Police said the detectives investigating the case were keen to speak to anyone present in the area at the time of attack or who might have information about the incident.
“He was assaulted with what is believed to be a knife or sharp implement and suffered a wound on his neck. His wife was not injured in the attack. The four men are described as wearing dark clothes and long black jackets. They all had long beards. One of the men is described as younger and slimmer than the other three. They all fled in the direction of Oxford Street,” Scotland Yard Police statement said.