Five Dead, 27 Hospitalised After Consuming Methanol

Published: 16th March 2014 11:44 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th March 2014 11:44 PM   |  A+A-


Five persons died and 27 others were hospitalised after consuming methanol at Palair village in Kusumanchi mandal of Khammam district, excise officials said today.

Some villagers on Friday night consumed methanol, an industrial alcohol which in odour and colour resembles liquor but may cause serious damage, they said.

Those who consumed methanol were hospitalised and five of them died while undergoing treatment yesterday. But timely action by district authorities saved many lives, an official release said.

The Commissioner of Prohibition and Excise, Ahmad Nadeem, and Director of Enforcement (Prohibition and Excise), Suryaprakash Rao, visited the village today and consoled the families of the deceased and also met the other patients at the hospital, the release added.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp