India blames China's 'obstructionist policy' for thwarting its NSG dreams

India on Friday made it amply clear that China’s obstructionist approach had thwarted its bid to enter the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), a technology restraint regime comprising 48 countries, despite  favourable indications from other member countries.

Published: 02nd July 2016 06:04 AM  |   Last Updated: 02nd July 2016 06:04 AM   |  A+A-

US Iran_Geor

FILE - This file picture released by the official website of the Iranian Defense Ministry on Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015, claims to show the launching of an Emad long-range ballistic surface-to-surface missile in an undisclosed location. Iran tested a ballistic

NEW DELHI: India on Friday made it amply clear that China’s obstructionist approach had thwarted its bid to enter the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), a technology restraint regime comprising 48 countries, despite  favourable indications from other member countries.

The bruising New Delhi faced at the NSG was succeeded by the country’s entry into the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) on June 27th. However, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) singled out China for blocking its entry into the NSG.

“....we have bilateral engagements with each of the 48 countries and on the basis of that I can say with complete certainty that at the end of the day there was only one country that raised procedural hurdles as a result of which the Nuclear Suppliers Group could not arrive in favour of India,” MEA Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said in a briefing here on Friday.  India made it clear that though it does not have access to the proceedings of the NSG, the bilateral engagements with each of the member countries had provided for a strong consensus for its entry application to the elite club. “The other countries did raise process-related issues, but process-related issues do not imply that they are opposing India’s membership. It is just they have a different solution about how India should enter the NSG,” Swarup added.

NSG came into inception following India’s first nuclear test in 1974 and a regime was put in place to prevent the proliferation of nuclear technology. 

Indo-Pak talks

India on Friday also countered the accusations of Pakistan Foreign Affairs Spokesperson Sartaz Aziz that New Delhi was shying away from peace talks. Reiterating India’s commitment to talks, the MEA Spokesperson said the country was ready to engage with Islamabad, but only in an environment “free of violence and terror”.

“In so far as the comments of Sartaj Aziz are concerned, I would say that India has never ever shied away from engagement with Pakistan and India is prepared to discuss all outstanding issues with Pakistan in an environment free of terror and violence. It is India which has repeatedly taken initiative to engage Pakistan,” Swarup added.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp