The suicide of ex-serviceman Ram Kishan Grewal on the lawns behind Jawahar Bhan earlier today has captured headlines across the country. But really what do we know about the man? Here's what we know.
1. Ram Kishan Grewal is a 70-year-old Army veteran from Bhiwani district in Haryana. His father's name is Nathu Ram
2. He retired as subedar in 2004, after serving the Army for 28 years.
3. After his retirement, he became sarpanch of Bamla village in Bhiwani.
4. According to Hindustan Times, Ram Kishan was awarded the Nirmal Gram Puraskar by the then president Pratibha Patil in 2008 for his outstanding contribution to the welfare of his village.
5. Grewal had been upset over the OROP issue for some time. He was an active participant in the OROP protest at Jantar Mantar.
6. He along with three of his companions had come to New Delhi apparently to submit a memorandum to the Defence Ministry on the OROP issue.
7. He is said to have sent a letter to Narendra Modi on the issue.
8. On Tuesday morning he is said to have called and informed his family that he was going to commit suicide because his demands were not met.
9. He drank poison on the lawns behind Jawahar Bhavan which houses the Ministry of External Affairs on Tuesday evening.
10. Defence ministry claims wrong calculations made by the bank led to his pension being reduced to Rs 23,000 from the actual Rs 28,000.