NITI Aayog to devise carbon cut plan sans growth cut

The NITI Aayog has begun laying the road-map to cap the carbon emission commitment without compromising the high growth objectives.

Published: 06th November 2016 03:08 PM  |   Last Updated: 07th November 2016 04:30 AM   |  A+A-

Niti_Aayog

Niti Aayog

Express News Service

NEW DELHI: With the Paris agreement on climate change coming into effect on Friday, NITI Aayog has begun laying the road-map to cap the  carbon emission commitment without compromising its high growth objectives.
The 15-year vision document is being prepared by a panel of think tanks under the close watch of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and  will substantially address India’s commitments on climate change as well as the United Nation’s sustainable development goal on clean energy.

“NITI Aayog is in the midst of drafting the National Energy Policy 2040, which will also include the roadmap for achieving the commitments to the Paris agreement to be fulfilled by 2030. India without compromising the high economic growth objectives will be on course to meet the climate change targets and may even surpass the goals” said top sources in NITI Aayog.
India has committed to cap its electricity generation from fossils (carbon sources) to 60 per cent by 2030, while the remaining 40 per cent of power has to be generated from the non-fossil (renewable) sources of energy.

“India had a 193 Giga watt power capacity as on 2012, which included 100600 MW from coal and 24,000 MW from gas. Thus the fossil as primary energy sources accounted for 67 per cent of the total electricity generation. With technological intervention and even while factoring in the expansion of the power capacity to address the demands of the economy, India will be on course to deliver on  international commitments,” sources said.

Incidentally, NITI Aayog has mapped the average plant efficiency of electricity generation at 33 per cent, which is much below the international benchmark.
India is also a signatory to the UN’s sustainable development goal on clean energy (Goal number 6).

“The cost of solar power is already down to Rs 6 a unit and going forward it will further come down significantly with cheaper batteries made available. India will mostly be building the small hydro power plants, which come under the renewable category,” said sources.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp