Security forces intensify vigil after fresh violence

Security forces were today deployed in strength in parts of Srinagar in the wake of fresh violence following death of a teenager.

Published: 06th November 2016 01:08 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th November 2016 01:08 PM   |  A+A-


Kashmir curfew. (File Photo/PTI)


SRINAGAR: Security forces were today deployed in strength in parts of Srinagar in the wake of fresh violence following death of a teenager, even as normal life remained affected elsewhere in the Valley for the 121st consecutive day due to separatist–sponsored strike.

"Adequate deployment of security forces has been made in parts of Srinagar, but there is no curfew in the city (here) or anywhere in Kashmir," a police official said. He said security forces have been deployed in strength in some areas of the city to maintain law and order in the wake of yesterday's violence following death of a 16-year-old boy Qaiser Sofi due to alleged poisoning.

Sofi was reported missing on October 25 and found in an unconscious state in Shalimar area of the city six days later and hospitalised. However, local residents of the area alleged that the teen was force-fed some poisonous substance. Police have said an investigation is underway into the case registered under section 309 Ranbir Penal Code (attempt to suicide) at Nishat Police Station.

Although there was very less movement of people and vehicular traffic in the areas in the old city, the civil lines areas of the summer capital, including the areas around the commercial hub of Lal Chowk, witnessed a fair amount of traffic as private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen plying, the official said. He said some shops were open in these areas along with the areas in the outskirts of the city, while many vendors set-up their stalls in the weekly flea market in the TRC Chowk-Batamaloo axis passing through Lal Chowk.

However, most of the shops, fuel stations and other business establishments were shut elsewhere in the Valley but are expected to open in the evening as the separatists have announced a 15-hour relaxation in the strike from 4 PM onwards. The ongoing unrest in Kashmir, triggered by killing of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces in south Kashmir on July 8, has completed four months.

The separatists, who are spearheading the ongoing agitation in the Valley, have been issuing weekly protest programmes. As many as 85 people, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the ongoing unrest in the Valley. Around 5000 security forces personnel have also been injured in the clashes.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp