Malegaon blast accused Lt. Col. Shrikant Purohit to be attached to Army unit, remain under suspension

The Supreme Court earlier on Monday granted bail to Purohit, who spent nine years in prison. The Malegaon blast had killed seven people.

Published: 21st August 2017 06:13 PM  |   Last Updated: 21st August 2017 06:15 PM   |  A+A-

Malegaon blast case accused Lt Col Prasad Purohit being taken to a session court in Mumbai. (File Photo: PTI)

By IANS

NEW DELHI: Lt. Col. Shrikant Prasad Purohit, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast who was granted bail by the Supreme Court, will be attached to an Army unit but will remain under suspension from service, informed sources said on Monday.

The Supreme Court earlier on Monday granted bail to Purohit, who spent nine years in prison. The Malegaon blast had killed seven people.

Purohit was suspended from service on January 20, 2009, after his arrest. 

The sources said he continues to be under suspension, but since he has now been ordered to be released on bail, he has to be attached to an Army unit.

He is likely to report back to the unit from where he was arrested. His suspension will thereafter be reviewed, the sources said.

Under suspension, he will be treated as "under open arrest", wherein usually a soldier is supposed to wear only his uniform. Purohit, under suspension, can wear civilian clothes as well.

His stay in his Army unit will come along with restrictions, like limited area of movement, not leave the station without permission and reporting daily. 

He will also not be allowed to attend any public event or gathering.

Purohit's return to active duty will depend on the final verdict in the case, the sources said.

On Monday, Supreme Court Justices R.K. Agrawal and Abhay Manohar Sapre granted bail to Purohit after telling him not to tamper with evidence.

The suspended Army officer had challenged the April 25 Bombay High Court order that granted bail to co-accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur but rejected his bail plea.

Seven persons were killed in the explosion in Malegaon in Nashik district in Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.

The investigating agencies had earlier attributed the blast to right-wing group Abhinav Bharat.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp