Separatists call off strike on Maha Shivratri festival in Kashmir

The Pandits had appealed the separatist leaders to call of the strike on Maha Shivrati.

Published: 20th February 2017 08:01 PM  |   Last Updated: 20th February 2017 08:01 PM   |  A+A-

Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Yasin Malik. | AFP File Photo

Express News Service

SRINAGAR: In a major relief for Kashmiri Pandits living in Valley, the separatists on Monday called off the strike call given by them on Hindu festival of Maha Shivratri.

The hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani, moderate Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik in a joint statement today said they have called off the strike on Friday (February 24), which coincided with Maha Shivratri.

On February 24, Kashmiri Pandits will be observing Maha Shivratri festival (locally known as Herat). The Kashmiri Pandits will be holding special prayers in the temples.

The Pandits distribute wet walnuts on the festival. They put walnuts put in earthen pots filled with water before the festival and then distribute. They distribute it among the Muslims also.

“We have exemplary tradition of mutual brotherhood in the State and since ages we are living in harmony,” the separatist leaders said while calling off the strike.

They said while issuing the protest programme, they did not notice that Maha Shivratri is being observed on February 24.

“After our strike call, the members of Kashmiri Pandit community sought our attention towards and after consultations, we have called off proposed strike on Friday,” the leaders said.

The Pandits had appealed the separatist leaders to call of the strike on Maha Shivrati.

The three separatist leaders had spearhead the over five month long unrest in the Valley last year after killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces in South Kashmir’s Kokernag area on July 8 last .

The trio have been issuing “protest calendars and shutdowns” since July 8.  On their call, the Kashmir observed continuous shutdown for over four months.  The separatists had not relaxed shutdown on E-id-ul-Azha, the Muslim holy festival last year.

Meanwhile, J&K government spokesman and Minister for Public Works, Naeem Akhtar, today visited Pandit Colony in Sheikhpora in central Kashmir’s Budgam district to review facilities there ahead of Maha Shivratri festival.  

During the visit, the minister reviewed status of under-construction additional blocks of the residential colony there.

He was informed that 200 Pandit families are already residing in the colony since 2008.

96 new flats are under construction at a cost of Rs 30 crore in Pandit colony at Sheikhpora.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

facebook twitter whatsapp