Bengal software engineer, who lived with the skeletons of elder sister for over six months, found charred to death

Partha Dey, who in 2015 was found living with the skeleton of his elder sister and carcasses of two pet dogs, was today found charred to death.     

Published: 21st February 2017 05:01 PM  |   Last Updated: 21st February 2017 10:55 PM   |  A+A-

Murder Generic-File Photo

File Photo for Representational Purposes.

Express News Service

KOLKATA: Partha De, the 47-year-old software engineer who was found living with the skeletons of his sister and two pet dogs at their ancestral Robinson Street house for over six months, was found dead with his body in a charred state, on Tuesday.

Police suspect suicide having found a half-empty bottle of kerosene and burnt matches besides the charred body inside the bathroom of his 11th floor apartment. The body was discovered by his caretaker who had to break into the apartment on Tuesday morning as it was locked from inside. It has been sent for post-mortem. According to sources, Partha—who has been residing there over the past one year—was very introvert and never spoke to any of his neighbours. 

Earlier, the police had stumbled upon the skeletons of De's elder sister and remains of the two dogs in June 10, 2015 night while investigating the death of De's father Arabinda De.

Incidentally, his father had also committed suicide by immolating himself inside the bathroom of their Robinson Street house. Police came across the skeletons of Partha's sister Debjani De and pet Labradors, Rickie and Terry, after entering the house to retrieve the body of his father.

File pic of Partha De. | EPS

On questioning, Partha revealed he had been living with the three corpses for over six months but maintained that he never killed them. "Debjani was very religious. She used to fast a lot despite my objection. She died of fasting," he had then told the media.

Partha revealed though Debjani died on December 24, 2014, he had told his father about her death on March 12, 2015. For 12 weeks, he stayed with the rotting body of his sister believing she was alive. His justification for the act was that he loved his sister so much he didn't want to part with her body.

After the incident, Partha was shifted to Pavlov Mental Institute and later to The Mother House of The Missionaries of Charity. After interrogation, the police did not find any leads into the case. Partha’s mental condition was stated to be unstable.

(With inputs from PTI)

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp